[CELT-dev] Blackfin compatibility and licensing

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Wed Feb 1 10:36:51 PST 2012

On 1 February 2012 04:10, Daniel Mazzer <mazzer at biquad.com.br> wrote:

> I am new in this forum and looking for some answers.
> Anyone have successfuly ran CELT on a Blackfin (fixed point) processor?

I expect it works fine, but haven't seen confirmation. Give it a try.

> If so, how much effort was necessary to do this?
> What are the main differences betwen CELT and OPUS? OPUS is a fork of
> CELT project?

Opus is a hybrid codec, using the CELT and SILK codecs, with dynamic
switching between them. It's also the continuation of the CELT project
in the sense that development since the celt 0.11 release has happened
on the opus codebase.

If you don't need the low-bitrate voice coding provided by SILK, you
can still build just the celt portion from the opus sources. However,
it is the full Opus codec which is in the final stages of
standardization at the IETF. Like CELT, the opus reference
implementation can be built as fixed-point code.

> CELT have a formal license file? I plan to use in a comercial product,
> it is allowed?

Yes, commercial use is allowed without fee. The copyright license is
BSD-style, which means you need to give attribution and reproduce the
warranty disclaimer in materials accompanying your product.

Thanks for your interest, and let us know if you get it working.

 -r

--
Ralph Giles
Xiph.org Foundation for open multimedia