[opus] Version 1.1-alpha is out

Jean-Marc Valin jmvalin at jmvalin.ca
Fri Dec 21 22:56:59 PST 2012

On 12/22/2012 12:59 AM, Ross Bencina wrote:
> That's great news. I notice that you mention that the transient detector
> has been rewritten. Out of curiousity, I'm wondering what algorithm you
> are employing here? has anything been published on the technique you're
> using?

It's an algo I "invented", but I wouldn't dare say that I'm the first to
invent it. It's based on a trivial temporal masking model and assumes
flat quantization noise. From there, it computes the average
noise-to-mask ratio that's compared to a threshold to make the decision.
I'm planning on publishing a document describing the technical details
of the new algorithms. Probably with the final 1.1 release.

	Jean-Marc