[CELT-dev] CELT grabbing 100KB of memory right off the top

Ross Bencina rossb-lists at audiomulch.com
Mon Apr 18 19:09:13 PDT 2011

Timothy B. Terriberry:
> What's wrong with passing -Drestrict ? Anything can be a macro in C.

What's wrong with writing portable code that can compile out of the box with
compilers other than gcc?

imho if code is intended to be portable, C99 features should be used as an
optional enhancement, not a baseline requirement. Code can (and should) be
written accordingly. For example, detect if restrict is available rather
than assuming it is.

I have experienced the same hurdles trying to get CELT to compile under
non-gcc compilers and I too find it surprising that a baseline
implementation like this would assume C99 as a requirement.

Ross.
(a CELT user who uses multiple compiler toolchains on a daily basis)