[CELT-dev] Variable frame size and API changes

Pascal Charest c.lacsap at gmail.com
Thu May 20 13:17:50 PDT 2010

Hi Jean-Marc,

When the CELT over DAB protocol was designed, this web page was used
as one of the reference:
http://www.celt-codec.org/testing/test.0.6.0.shtml

On the graphs representing quality/bitrate/delay trade-offs, we can
observe that for a given bitrate, the quality increases with longer
frame size. It was then decided that the protocol would allow to pack
from 1 to 4 CELT frames per DAB frame. This packing ratio is not fixed
and the user can select any of these configurations (except for 1
frame at 48kHz that is not allowed) when starting the encoder. A
checksum is added to every CELT frames. So, each configuration offer
an error resilience/quality trade-off. For the encoder delay, in our
case, it is not so important because the logical DAB frames are build
on a 24 ms basis. As long as it stays below 24 ms, not additional
delay is added to the system and the system delay doesn't decrease
with lower CELT delay.

Pascal