[CELT-dev] Variable frame size and API changes

Tue May 18 13:28:50 PDT 2010

Quoting Torgeir Hagland <torg at gaikai.com>:
> Before we had total freedom over lag, samplerate and bitrate; we could also
> vary the bitrate at will. The new proposal would limit lag and
> samplerates... excluding the most common samplerate (at least for us and
> many devices).

OK, maybe my original email was mixing things a bit. It's not a matter of "we
have to choose between variable frame size and flexible frame size". These are
(mostly) decoupled. I added support for variable frame size already (see
exp_variable_framesize branch) and now I'm trying to see how to update the API
-- and at the same time what can be simplified.

What I'm interested in here is knowing what people really use -- as opposed what
they think is "nice to have" but have no use for. For example, I think it's
fair to say that nobody ever uses a frame size of 286 (13*11*2) samples. Now,
what else can be removed is the main question here.

> Are there any use-cases where it would be acceptable for lag
> to vary over time?

Yes, the use case here is that as network bandwidth changes, you should be able
to scale not only the quality, but also the delay.