[CELT-dev] Endless Loop

Mike Hooper mihooper at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 2 12:00:16 PDT 2010

Greg,

I have checked and varied my allocations and they appear to be correct. I am
using the TI CCS4 development environment which does not support alloca or
var-arrays. So I am using the application managed pseudo-stack. I have tried
many (oversized) allocations, all of which appear to have the same issue.

What I have determined is that there is a recursive loop in the following
code from which I never return:

"static celt_int16 *get_required_bits_pair(celt_int16 *_bits1,
 celt_int16 *_bits2,celt_int16 *_tmp,int _n1,int _n2,int _maxk,int _frac)"

This function is first called after 15 iterations of:
"celt_int16 **compute_alloc_cache(CELTMode *m, int C)"

Around the 15th iteration the following line is executed which goes into a
recursive loop that eventually exceeds the heap allocation (no matter how
big it is)

 "_tmp=get_required_bits_pair(_bits2,_tmp,_bits1,
       _n1>>1,_n1+1>>1,_maxk,_frac);"

Here are the values of the variables on entry:
_bits1 = 0x00000062
	*(_bits1) = 0
_bits2 = 0x000000E2
_tmp = 0x000067FA
_n1 = 4
_n2 = 4
_maxk = 128
_frac = 4
tmp2 = 0x0008007F

Can you see anything obvious that would cause this to loop indefinitely?

Thx

MikeH