[CELT-dev] Total Harmonic Distortion THD

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Wed Aug 18 07:12:25 PDT 2010

Hi,

On 10-08-18 03:50 AM, Jochen Kilian wrote:
> So the only measure we have is the perceptual audio quality?

Yes. After all, that's what you want in the end, isn't it? SNR and THD
may be indications of quality when your system is entirely analog, but
when things get more complex (as they do in codecs), actually listening
to the audio is the only thing you can do.

> Which are the most recent comparisons you have.
> Looking at the celt_euspico report I wonder if the comparison was made
> with the
> - low complexity version or not
> - fixed point version or not

The comparisons were made with the low-complexity version (I recently
got rid of the high complexity one anyway) in floating point. Note that
the fixed-point version should have the same quality as the floating point.

> if not are there major differences in quality for the low complexity and
> the fixed point version?

No (see above).

> Another question I have is if you ever compared the Codec to the APT-X
> codec which is used for Bluetooth wireless headsets.

AFAIK, Bluetooth uses SBC, not APT-X. In any case, CELT is designed for
lower bit-rates than SBC and APT-X. So using rates like 64 kb/s per
channel, I would expect CELT to sound better. At very high bitrates
(>128 kb/s per channel), I have no idea how they would compare since
CELT is already transparent to my ears. Note that this is based on the
little information I know of APT-X and SBC since I've never actually
listened to these. I would encourage you do to some listening for
yourself to get an opinion.