[CELT-dev] CELT for DAB broadcast radio

François Lefebvre fralef at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 12:46:55 PDT 2009

Hi all,

Just a quick note to let you know that we are currently integrating CELT
with our DAB transmission and reception software tools. We plan to have a
working demo at the broadcast conference IBC 2009 in September where we have
a small booth. We hope to be able to demonstrate a real-time DAB CELT
encoder as part our our Live CD based on Ubuntu and GNU/Radio (
http://mmbtools.crc.ca/content/view/30/54/). On the receive end, we plan to
decode real-time CELT with our DAB FreeRunner prototype (
http://www.openmokast.org) and with an Android G1 phone. We have put
together a small transport protocol for CELT over DAB. It will not be
optimal by September but it should be fine for a demo.

This being said, I am wondering how CELT will evolve in the future,
considering the focus on "interactive" applications as suggested in the IETF
discussions. As you can imagine, our "pure" broadcast application will rely
on the CBR qualities of the codec since we are dealing with a fixed capacity
channel. To my understanding, the focus on interactive applications will
tend to foster VBR strategies within CELT.

Any comments on this?

Francois.
CRC