[CELT-dev] Allocating all memory up front

Chen-Po Sun chenpo at fmod.org
Wed Jul 22 19:53:39 PDT 2009

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback guys. The STATIC_MODES thing was exactly what I
was after. I wasn't aware that the CELTmode was read-only, I was
thinking we would need one per sound instance, but it looks like we
don't, so there's another memory saving! We could probably even store
the whole mode as part of our sample banks or something.

To answer Jean-Marc's question, we will be allocating into a chunk for
now, but it would be nice if all allocations were taken out of the
decoder_create (for static mode) as Gregory mentioned, and put into
statically sized arrays.
This will make things a lot easier when it comes time to get this stuff
working on the PS3 SPUs. We do a lot of DMA's back and forth, and it
would also mean we don't have to fix up pointers everytime we go from
PPU to SPU and vice versa.
It is probably something we would eventually end up doing unless it is
already part of the official lib before then ;)

Chen-Po Sun
Firelight Technologies
http://www.fmod.org/