[ogg-dev] Merging Ogg streams whilst updating the Skeleton?

Nick Burch ogg at gagravarr.org
Fri Aug 22 10:54:11 PDT 2014

Hi All

I'm currently trying to put together an ogg file with two theora streams,
a handful of audio streams (probably mixed vorbis and opus), and a
Skeleton stream that describes their relationships to each other. I had
hoped to be able to use the oggz suite of tools, but I can't seem to get
that to work.

To generate my theora files, I'm using ffmpeg2theora, which will happily
generate me an ogg file with a single theora stream, and with or without a
skeleton stream for it. If I generate two of them, without skeleton
streams, and then use oggz-merge to splice them together, no skeleton
stream is added. If I use oggz-merge on two both with theora+skeleton,
then I end up with a file with two skeleton streams, both claiming to hold
role=video/main, which doesn't seem correct to me. I can use oggz-merge to
merge in the audio tracks too, but they don't show up in either skeleton,
which seems wrong too.

Can anyone suggest the best way to go about merging together these various
streams, so I end up with a Skeleton stream properly describing how they
fit together?

And related - is the behaviour of oggz-merge when merging two
skeleton-containing files to end up with a file with two skeleton streams
correct, or should I report a bug for that?

Thanks
Nick

PS I'm creating these multi-stream files to test the handling of
    multi-stream files in the Ogg and Vorbis Java library I maintain, to
    help check if the proposed Apache Tika multi-stream metadata proposal
    will work, so I'm a long way down the rabbit hole here!