[ogg-dev] ask for one ogg test stream with cmml subtitle

Silvia Pfeiffer silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de
Fri Aug 26 01:08:59 PDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 5:33 PM, startx <startx at plentyfact.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 20:01:11 +1000
> Silvia Pfeiffer <silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi BCXA,
>>
>> CMML is deprecated. You should use KATE instead.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Silvia.
>
> ok i admit this statement came as a surprise for me.
>
> cmml is about metadate/annotations, how can it be replaced
> by KATE ( which is mainly about subtitles as far as i can see?

Yeah, I think we have to reposition Kate a bit better. In my mind,
Kate is a generic way to align any type of text-based content with an
Ogg timeline. Subtitles and Karaoke are one type of such content. But
any other text content can be time-aligned in the exact same way with
the same codebase. Metadata is just one type of such text content. The
Kate libraries already allow for time-aligning SRT and the
Kate-format. These are just means of providing time-aligned text. Oggk
has recently also made it explicitly possible to attach arbitrary
tag/value metadata to timed events. So Kate is a lot more than just
subtitles.

I'm expecting that the next format that we will encode in a Kate track
is WebVTT. It can't be hard to do because Kate already supports all
the required functionality. There just isn't yet a WebVTT parser that
would chop it up for libkate to feed into Ogg. :-)

Cheers,
Silvia.