[ogg-dev] [whatwg] HTML5 audio tag

Chris Pearce chris at pearce.org.nz
Tue May 11 17:19:36 PDT 2010

In order to do this you'd need to know /in advance/ exactly which Ogg
pages were audio and which were video so you could choose to only
download the vorbis pages. The upcoming Ogg Skeleton index does not
index pages at a high enough granularity to facilitate this. It could,
but then the index would be a lot bigger. I also wonder if the
time/server overhead of setting up new HTTP byte-range request for each
~4KB Ogg vorbis page wouldn't make this worth while. Especially over a
high latency connection. You'd be best to oggz-rip the streams you want
out in advance and serving them statically, as Conrad suggested.

It's /impossible/ to determine in advance which byte ranges to download
in order to download only one stream. You simply don't know which stream
a page belongs to or what size it is until you've downloaded the page.

Chris P.