[ogg-dev] how to set default audio track?

Volodya Volodya at WhenGendarmeSleeps.org
Wed Dec 1 04:05:22 PST 2010

On 11/26/2010 03:15 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> Typically video players will play back the last audio track in a Ogg
> Theora file, because it is the last one that they see.
> There is no way to specify which is the "default" audio track and it
> would not make sense anyway. If you are a German speaker, your
> "default" would be the German audio track - if you are a native
> English speaker, it would be the English audio track. So, it's not
> possible to say which should be the default. Such a thing only makes
> sense in the context of a Web page that is clearly written in one
> language only. It's much more useful for your machine environment to
> understand what tracks are available. Maybe future versions of media
> players will actually do so and then choose your "default" track based
> on the language settings of your user login.
>
> Cheers,
> Silvia.

I'd think that it's only superficially true. For example if i make a film in
English and then write Russian language subtitles for it; after that i can
record "director's commentary" track in Russian, the default playback that a
user would expect in Britain would be "English audio only" and in Russia it
would be "English audio + Russian subtitles".

I think that in many cases defaulting to the user's profile language can lead to
the confusion.

Multiple language tracks will only add insult to injury, since they would never
be chosen as default, even though most likely it is they who are "main track" of
the feature.

             - Volodya