[ogg-dev] adwantages of ogg container?

Martin Leese martin.leese at stanfordalumni.org
Sat Aug 28 13:21:33 PDT 2010

Sampo Syreeni <decoy at iki.fi> wrote:
> [I]n
> well-designed and matched protocol environments, if you expect to see
> some array of differing protocols, you will also see an easy way of
> discerning those protocols from each other. Before engaging in any sort
> of decoding endeavor.
>
> File names, resource fork types or IFF/RIFF block types do not seem to
> be working quite like that, so you shouldn't be relying on them. They
> just do not disambiguate the content fully. Something else is needed.
> That else is usually, and sadly, contained within the file/stream, and
> it can be quite complex to decode.

Maybe I am missing something, but is this
"something else" not Ogg Skeleton?  Strictly
speaking, Skeleton is a separate stream in the
Ogg container but, as it contains metadata, it
is stuffed in front of the other streams.  See:
    http://wiki.xiph.org/Ogg_Skeleton

Also, there was a campaign to encourage
players to support Ogg Skeleton.  (I don't
remember whether a Skeleton stream was
actually made mandatory, but that was
certainly the end goal.)

Regards,
Martin
--
Martin J Leese
E-mail: martin.leese  stanfordalumni.org