[ogg-dev] Fixing ogg vorbis corruption caused by bad metadata

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Thu Jun 18 03:07:08 PDT 2009

Hi,

(I was discussing this with Adam earlier today, and he has also mailed
vorbis at xiph.org about this issue in March).

This sounds like it needs a new tool specifically for fixing broken
Ogg files. Suggestions so far (tried by Adam, or suggested to him in
email/IRC):

  * oggz-sort, hogg sort

These rewrite the file, sorting the pages by presentation time. This
usually fixes muxing problems, but will not change the actual page
contents, so are of little use here where header data is corrupted.

  * hogg reconstruct

This reconstructs a file "by doing a full packet demux". Here, hogg
actually keeps track of page boundaries, ie. what segments each packet
consists of. The reconstruction then involves writing new pages with
the same segmentation. This will fix some paging issues (sequence
numbering, granulepos) and re-calculate checksums; this may have fixed
some files where some bad metadata pages were randomly inserted at the
start.

  * oggz-dump, [edit], oggz-dump -r

This is a fun hack, but doesn't preserve any segmentation info so is
unlikely to help here.

  * oggz-chop -s 0

(a clever suggestion I saw from ogg.k.ogg.k ;-) This will usually
rewrite the headers and flush them correctly, so it can fix some
header segmentation problems, but like oggz-sort it doesn't modify the
contents.

So basically it looks like these files are corrupted in a new and
interesting way! The current tools won't work, and I'm unlikely to
have time to write a fixer for these in the short term. This sounds
like the perfect challenge for someone who wants to dive deeper into
Ogg hacking (or a good tool for the recent C++ libraries :-)

If you want to try with liboggz, a good place to start would be the
files in src/examples, such as fix-eos.c or rewrite-pages.c. I could
also help anyone who wants to hack on hogg, where it's probably just a
matter of writing a short helper along the lines of:

sort :: [OggPage] -> [OggPage]
sort = sortHeaders . listMerge . demux

Anyway, an interesting problem :-)

Conrad.