[ogg-dev] Fixing ogg vorbis corruption caused by bad metadata

Adam Rosi-Kessel adam at rosi-kessel.org
Wed Jul 8 17:26:20 PDT 2009

Conrad Parker wrote, on 7/8/2009 8:20 PM:
>> Anything I can do to keep this on radar? I'm not sure if it is really a bug
>> -- perhaps at least a wishlist request. Will putting it in a tracker
>> somewhere help?
> yes, a tracker would help.

I'm somewhat confused about the right place to file this--can you
suggest? There seem to be few separate projects it might belong to.

> At this point it really looks like some pretty bizarre and
> inconsistent corruption, which would probably need some custom tools
> to fix.

Is it impractical to suggest a generic tool that simply starts reading
an ogg file from the beginning, and once it gets past any corruption it
outputs the rest as a valid file? For example, if you just split an ogg
vorbis file in half, and only had the second half, is there no currently
existing tool, or one that could be easily developed from the existing
libraries, that would take that second half and make it playable?

I do think these problems are actually not that unusual based on the
number of unanswered threads from other people I've found around other
discussion lists on trying to repair broken files. And the corruption is
completely reproducible with MediaMonkey, a very common metadata tagging
tool. I understand this is probably MediaMonkey's problem/fault
(although they seem to use the generic ogg/vorbis libraries for
metadata), but it does leave the fact that there may be many people with
this problem or a variant thereof out there.

Adam