[ogg-dev] Royalty-free codecs at the IETF

Jean-Marc Valin jean-marc.valin at usherbrooke.ca
Sun Jul 5 20:52:59 PDT 2009

Hello,

I would like to point everyone's attention to a proposal to create a new
IETF working group dedicated to standardising unencumbered audio codecs.
There will be a BoF at the next IETF meeting (26-31 July) in Stockholm
to discuss that. I encourage those interested in taking part in the
mailing list discussion ( https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/codec )
and/or attending the BoF in Stockholm. I will be co-chairing this BoF
with Jason Fischl from Skype.

There is already a first codec submission, as we just submitted an
Internet draft for the CELT codec (
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-valin-celt-codec-00.txt ).
CELT is a full-bandwidth, ultra low-delay audio codec for high-quality
VoIP. The version submitted is 0.6.0, which has just been released. You
can get it from the website: http://www.celt-codec.org/ .

Cheers,

	Jean-Marc