[ogg-dev] archive of legacy oggenc/oggenc2 encoders for windows?

Silvia Pfeiffer silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de
Thu Aug 6 17:59:08 PDT 2009

I think if you are only interested in applications, your best bet for
theora encoders is probably ffmpeg2theora, which I believe was used
for most encoding tasks in past years. Note that it uses libtheora
directly, while plain ffmpeg has its own theora encoder. The Theora
files that ffmpeg used to create until recently were not of great
quality, so I hope there aren't that many of those files around still.
Also note that mencoder has the capabilities to encode Theora.

On the Mac - if you don't like the command-line encoders - there is
ffmpegX, which is a graphical user interface for ffmpeg. More recently
on the Mac I used the XiphQT component to directly transcode from
iMovie, so that did not use ffmpeg2theora.

On Windows, I am not so versed with encoding tools that have a UI. I
would say that on the command line ffmpeg2theora would have been used
mostly and possibly the encoder that comes as part of the oggcodecs DS
filters. However, more likely, there is a tool with a graphical UI
that uses either ffmpeg underneath or the oggcodecs DS filters on
Windows - you would need to google a bit.

Hope that helps - I am curious what you are trying to do though.

Cheers,
Silvia.