[ogg-dev] Album art - requirements

Mathias Kunter mathiaskunter at yahoo.de
Sat Oct 18 10:01:19 PDT 2008

Silvia wrote:
>Interesting proposal. Not sure it won't over-complicate album art though...

Well yes, of course it does.
If you'd like other software / hardware developers to support album art within ogg vorbis, do *not* do it that way.

>> Since MP3 and FLAC have well-supported standards about cover art, why not simply
>> adopting this for OGG too? Placing the binary coverart structure from
>> http://flac.sourceforge.net/format.html#metadata_block_picture
>> within a vorbis comment [...]

>> The only possible problem is support of existing software / hardware players [...]

>> All C-based applications wouldn't display this coverart "string" anyway
>> because it terminates at the very first position with a \0 sign.

>This could easily be verified by creating a sample file then posting
>it on the xiph.org website. We could all try the track out on all the
>players each of us possesses, both hardware and software, then
>report our results in the Xiph Wiki.

What's about this proposal now? If it turns out that it doesn't harm the majority of both software and hardware players, it would be by far the easiest way which supports *all* requested things about album art.

I can gladly provide such an ogg vorbis file for testing if that's OK.

I think we should reach a consensus about the album art issue; people have been waiting for it long enough. An easy solution like the comment-embedded binary coverart structure would soon be implemented by most ogg vorbis players and taggers etc. as soon as it's "official".

Cheers
Mathias