[ogg-dev] video chapters and subtitles in ogg containers

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 05:53:46 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:30 PM, ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com
<ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> (odd, I did get this reply for Silvia, but not the original post)
>>
>> Hmm, it was properly CCed to the list.
>
> Yes, I found it in the spam bucket for some reason...
>
>> Chapters are a list of timepoints stored in the metadata. They are an
>> information for player software that is usually used to allow the user
>> to jump to certain significant points within a stream. This probably
>
> I don't think anything currently in Ogg can do this. The closest I can
> think of is CMML's clip concept, but you'd still have to parse the entire
> stream to find them all.
> One could build an index of them to place them in a Skeleton message
> header though, but there is nothing to do that AFAIK.

Yes, CMML was definitely built with chapter markers on mind. What you
do is get the full CMML file in parallel or ahead to the video file.
It has all the clips defined. The clips have id tags, which give you
text to identify the chapters. They also have title tags for more than
just a one-word description.

You should however be able to simulate that with a kate stream, too.
When multiplexed into the file you will indeed gather the markers as
you go along.

Regards,
Silvia.