[ogg-dev] oggz tool renames

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Thu Nov 13 15:45:19 PST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 1:43 AM, Conrad Parker <conrad at metadecks.org> wrote:

> The Makefile rules I used just call "rm" and "ln -s" directly. Does
> anyone have advice about how to make this portable, ie. is it ok to
> just write $(RM) and $(LN_S), after calling AC_PROG_RM and
> AC_PROG_LN_S in configure.ac, or would that make configure fail if
> those programs aren't installed in the first place?

According to the docs, AC_PROG_LN_S will substitute 'ln' or 'cp -p' if
the system doesn't support 'ln -s'. So that makes it more likely for
the install to work, but may break the 'was this me?' test in the
uninstall target.

I don't see an AC_PROG_RM, but I think most make implementations
define $(RM) anyway. OTOH, the automake manual examples all call it
directly. Maybe the advantage of $(RM) is that it's more likely to
work in non-unix shells?

 -r