[ogg-dev] How Ogg mappings translate into the codecs parameter in Ogg media types

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Tue May 27 15:17:32 PDT 2008

Silvia,

I don't think I follow your line of thought.

On 5/27/08, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was just having a thought this morning: we should probably include
> the version information into the codec identification bits.

What version information?  Like libvorbis 1.2.1?  If so, I can't see
much of a point in that.

> It will make it easier to then re-use the table for mime-types for codecs as
> we go and do RTP/RTSP specifications.

How?  RTP specifications are using their own media types, sometimes
coupled with "side-kick"  (e.g. audio/vorbis-config).  And what good
there would be in using a version information here?  All Vorbis
streams for instance are (hopefully) supposed to work in past and
future decoders.

-Ivo