[ogg-dev] How Ogg mappings translate into the codecs parameter in Ogg media types

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Sat May 24 06:22:12 PDT 2008

Hello list,

We have recently introduced the codecs (optional) parameter on the Ogg
media types for easier identification of encapsulated codecs in
conditions were it's not feasable to examine the streams directly.

I received a comment from the IESG that we should have some sort of
list to describe how Ogg mapping strings translate to codec parameter
strings, so I went ahead and compiled a table with all known Ogg
codecs, and I would like feedback in case I inserted an error
somewhere.

The draft is located in SVN[1], but for your convenience I'm posting it here:

 	        Codec Identifier           | Codecs Parameter
 	        char[8]: '\x01vorbis'      | vorbis
 	        char[8]: '\x80theora'      | theora
 	        char[8]: 'Speex   '        | speex
 	        char[8]: '\177FLAC'        | flac
 	        char[8]: 'BBCD\0'          | dirac
 	        char[8]: 'OggMIDI\0'       | midi
 	        char[8]: 'CMML\0\0\0\0'    | cmml
 	        char[8]: 'PCM     '        | pcm
 	        char[8]: 'CELT    '        | celt
 	        char[8]: 'kate\0\0\0\0'    | kate

Is everything correct?  Did I miss a codec?

-Ivo

[1] https://trac.xiph.org/browser/trunk/standards/draft-goncalves-rfc3534bis.txt