[ogg-dev] lib64

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Wed Jul 9 04:13:40 PDT 2008

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com wrote:

> I'm told libs should install in lib64 (as opposed to lib) when on
> x86_64 (and, looking on the web, a few more archs).

Its a little more complex than that.

On x86_64, you can either install a 32 or a 64 bit base system.

If you install a 32 bit base system, then 64 bit libs should be
installed in /lib64, /usr/lib64 and so on.

However, if you install a 64 bit base system, then the 32 bit
libraries should be install in /lib32, /usr/lib32 and so on.

In both cases, the native libs (ie native to the base install)
are installed in /lib, /usr/lib and so on.

> I looked at a few libs (libogg, liboggz, libtheora), and
> none of them do this either. I'd have expected at least libogg, which
> has got to be used pretty much everywhere, to have been changed to
> do so if this was the "right thing" to do.

Automake/autoconf/libtool should just do "the right thing" by
default.

Erik