[ogg-dev] Ogg/Kate preliminary documentation

Martin Leese martin.leese at stanfordalumni.org
Wed Jan 16 15:02:35 PST 2008

"ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com" <ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > * don't bother with non-UTF8
>
> Yes, I was going to leave it as is while keeping the header field there,
> just in case. I do know, however, that people in eastern countries tend
> to dislike utf-8 for the size it takes for their language, as it's been, er...
> /optimized/ for the latin alphabet. I am also not clear if every code point
> can be coded in utf-8, I'll have to dig that up.

Every code point can be coded in UTF-8.  As
you point out, when your character set contains
many characters (eg, Chinese and Japanese)
then UTF-8 becomes inefficient and UTF-16
uses less space.

Unless space is at a premium then allowing
only UTF-8 is reasonable.  A header also buys
you future proofing for little cost.

Regards,
Martin
--