[ogg-dev] Ogg/Kate preliminary documentation

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 16 07:35:16 PST 2008

> > I did see references to Skeleton, I'll have a look at it. I didn't
> > realize it was used widely
>
> It's not widely used currently.  The idea is to make that happen.

Oh, I get you now.

> CMML does of course other things besides subtitles.  Subtitle support
> was pretty much just added recently.  Kate however does not seem to
> offer more than CMML in the lyrics/subtitles department, besides

This is true, as the design of XML makes it malleable to custom semantics:
you can embed anything in an XML tree.

> perhaps the concept of converting other subtitles formats (ASS, SRT,

Which I have working in MPlayer now (from the 12 formats they support).
But this is, as you say, moot since it'd be as easy to create CMML
representations of these.

> This does not mean Kate development should stop.  It just means that
> if you are not willing to join efforts with the other developers we
> will end up with two (let's not count Writ) different formats for the
> same niche.  And then we have to tell people which of them should be
> the default format for subtitles and lyrics, which means one format
> will lose in favor of another, frustrating its developer(s).  I don't
> think anyone wants that.

I totally understand. I like doing this, so I will certainly not stop, but I do
see the possible counterproductive effect (which was quite apparent from
what I've seen on the web in discussions when I was looking at what was
there).
In parallel, I'll look more into CMML. However, without wanting to sound
overly dismissive, I've seen this name mentionned a few times in several
discussions over the years when text-in-ogg was mentionned, and we're
still there. Again, that's just from Google searches, so I may be missing a
lot, so please keep that in mind.

Thanks again for your feedback.