[ogg-dev] How to embede text into the Ogg stream

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 22:06:52 PST 2008

On 1/10/08, Ralph Giles <giles at xiph.org> wrote:
> There have been a couple of
> proposals for this; the most popular one right now is to use the
> <description> or <caption> tags inside an CMML stream.
>
> We would like to get this standardized, so let us know how it goes.

I think we are likely to settle for CMML for everything text in Ogg.
Of course, semantically-wise and to avoid confusing players, we should
make clear when to use <description> and when to use <caption>.  For
instance, I'm pretty sure <caption> should only be used for subtitles
and lyrics, which would leave <description> likely for metadata only.

Perhaps going as far as create one or two video (Theora) example files
with subtitles for a test suite would be a step in the right
direction.  Without testcase files it's unlikely we'll see any support
on third-party tools and we need that support.

That said, I'm currently not sure how to embed CMML in Ogg.  Does
oggzmerge do it?

-Ivo