[ogg-dev] Skeletal relations

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Mon Feb 25 17:29:43 PST 2008

On 20-Feb-08, at 12:57 PM, Shane Stephens wrote:

> If you have an application-specific need for exact font data, then
> I think the mechanism for retrieving this data should lie in your
> application, and not in the media format that you're using for
> media data.  I would have said the same thing to Adobe if they'd
> asked me ;-)

"Fonts are hard."

I think this belongs as something media-mapping specific. Most vector
formats have some way of dealing with fonts. In general they're
either included directly or there's some established scheme of
referencing external resources, possibly with intelligent
substitution. But if you're putting SVG in a stream, you want to use
the SVG mechanism, etc.

I'd also mention that alphabetic fonts are cheap, but ideographic
(and cursive) fonts aren't, on the scale of web video.

  -r