[ogg-dev] eos on continued page

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Mon Feb 25 15:42:07 PST 2008

On 26/02/2008, Ralph Giles <giles at xiph.org> wrote:
> On 25-Feb-08, at 9:34 AM, xiphmont at xiph.org wrote:
>
>  > I'd say both; libogg should ignore the incomplete packet or flag a
>  > structural error, and the spec should be clarified.
>
> I guess libogg should return -1 if you try to ogg_stream_packetout()
>  after the eos packet.
>
>  The eos flag pretty clearly applies to the *page* not the packet, so
>  I think how that gets translated into the corresponding ogg_packet
>  structure is a matter for the libogg api documentation, not the spec.

ok. If the correct behaviour should be to ignore the incomplete
packet, that should also be clarified in the spec.

I'd find it useful if it was not considered a structural error, as it
allows us to very simply chop files apart and put them back together.
The eos flag on the page is then a very clear way of saying to ignore
the extra data during decode.

As far as the libogg API is concerned, I reckon it should also set
op->e_o_s on the last completed packet on a page marked eos.

cheers,

Conrad.