[ogg-dev] Seeking to granules in discontinuous streams

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 14 04:41:24 PST 2008

> CMML granulepos is much like theora's; the previous granule is stored
> in the higher bits, and the delta since then is stored in the lower
> bits. The current timestamp is the sum of the two. This is the
> behavior of the implementations (and has been for many years), and
> what is supposed to be in the spec ...

Ah, good. That removes a lot of the dislike I had to it.

And if you store an offset rather than another granulepos, then it goes some
way towards fixing the issue I have with the massive loss in granulespace,
as you can then choose to leave less bits for the offset, which was not possible
with a two-granulepos system.

Good, good, I'll give it some more thought on that new (to me) encoding, and
if I can live with it for my purposes. Which would be good for simplicity.

Thanks