[ogg-dev] Header packet multiplicity

ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 14 01:45:41 PST 2008

> there's also the possibility of having a marker in the first byte to
> say whether its a header packet or not, kinda like how vorbis and
> theora start their header packets with (0x1, 0x3, 0x5,) and (0x80,
> 0x81, 0x82) respectively ... and then make sure not to start data
> packets that way. That does make it a little dirty for a text codec
> though as you always have to check/skip the first byte of your data
> packets.

Why does it make it dirty ?
I'm doing just this (with headers having 0x80 set), and as far as having
to check/skip the first byte, I also have to check/skip everying in there
anyway for consistency checking (eg, checking the encoding is within
expected bounds, etc, etc).

Or is there a particular thing to be aware of with having a first byte as
a packet type ?