[ogg-dev] OggPCM: support for little-endianness only?

Sampo Syreeni decoy at iki.fi
Wed Feb 13 18:04:55 PST 2008

On 2008-02-13, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

>> This is all well and good but OggPCM is in an Ogg transport stream,
>> so that needs to be unpacked anyway.
>
> Fair enough. Since the ogg pages (which I beleive are 4k) need to be
> unpacked anyway, there is little harm in having to (possibly) do
> endswapping as well.

I don't want to be starting no holy wars here, but... Isn't the precise
problem that mplayer people have with ogg in that the paging structure
necessitates too much CPU intervention, instead of allowing braindead,
direct, DMA, scatter/gather? If so, isn't it the case that the problem
is in ogg, not in Erik's reasoning?
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - mailto:decoy at iki.fi, tel:+358-50-5756111