[ogg-dev] Header packet multiplicity

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue Feb 12 12:24:08 PST 2008

On 12-Feb-08, at 4:49 AM, ogg.k.ogg.k at googlemail.com wrote:

> Has anyone thoughts on whether multiple header packets are a good
> idea ?
> I currently have a header per "type" of data, and I'm now at 9
> headers. The
> original idea was to make it harder to hit a maximum limit, but I've
> since realized
> that the 64 KB (ish) limit is on pages, rather than on packets, so
> this is moot.
>
> I've recently slightly changed the format of my headers after
> reading the wiki
> about RTP encapsulation, and the way headers may have to be
> concatenated
> in some containers. In my particular case, all header packets are
> critical (apart
> from the Vorbis comments packet, actually), and data packets aren't
> (though
> losing one would lose one text event).
>
> In this light, does anyone know of results (statistical or
> otherwise) indicating
> whether having multiple smaller packets is better or not than a
> consolidated
> single packet ?

It's nice if the first header is small, because it lets you find the
beginning-of-stream (bos) packets for all the streams quickly,
ideally within a single read buffer, so you can configure the decoder
pipeline. Currently the bos headers we have for codecs in Ogg are all
less than 100 bytes.

Otherwise, I don't suppose it matters much. The other main
recommendation is that all the headers go together at the beginning,
with a page flush after the last one, so it's easy to (a) find them
and (b) copy and paste them when you're doing editing.

> Additionally, is there some kind of guidelines about header packet
> design, and
> the constraints or recommendations about it ? I'm thinking about
> parsing those
> packets by a parser that doesn't know their format, from, eg,
> http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/Oggless,  that specify a way to skip
> those headers without actually understanding them.

So I'd say:

* Ogg requires some way to identify the codec from the first packet.

* Lots of frameworks either don't expect headers at all, or treat
them as a single blob, so they may have to pack multiple headers
together. Having fixed or internally described packet lengths can
simplify this.

* Ideally it should be easy to figure out how to interpret the Ogg
granulepos by grabbing a few bits out of the header packets. For
example, the theora frame rate can be read directly out of the first
header packet, but we messed up in that the shift (radix) that
divides the granulepos field isn't byte aligned in the header. With
vorbis, one can likewise read the samplerate directly which is enough
for seeking, but recalculating per-packet timestamps requires parsing
the mode table out of the third header packet, which is a serious
pain. Likewise, Dirac has only one header, but it's a couple of pages
of code to get the framerate out of it because it's all variable-
length coded with a hierarchy of defaults from tables and explicitly
coded overrides.

* Likewise, and regardless of whether you're using Ogg, it's nice if
other parameters that might be relevant to setting up a pipeline are
easy to extract without a full parser: frame size for video codecs,
number of channels for audio codecs, that sort of thing.

  -r