[ogg-dev] Ogg bitwise.c bit tracking

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Fri Feb 8 16:01:17 PST 2008

On 09/02/2008, Ralph Giles <giles at xiph.org> wrote:
> Yes, all that is reasonable. The original argument was that we need a
> library anyway, no one noticed the function call overhead, and using
> libogg simplified the embedding.
>
> Now, we'd like to remove libogg entirely as a dependency to avoid
> confusion when using other containers, but that's an api change...

As far as libvorbis is concerned, wouldn't the step of copying the
bitpacker into libvorbis, where the functions are only used
internally, just allow a dependency change?

There is of course the bit of the libvorbis API which talks in terms
of ogg_packet structures, but maybe we could replicate the definition
of that in a vorbis header file (inside of #ifndef _OGG_H).

Removing the bitpackers from libogg would of course be an API change
to libogg, but we could defer that.

K.