[ogg-dev] Ogg/Spots and Ogg/MNG

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 15:06:44 PDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:11 PM, Conrad Parker <conrad at metadecks.org> wrote:
>  No, vorbiscomments are meant to be human-readable.

But I CAN read base64!

Seriously now, this is a good idea.  Just the right (if not perfect)
solution for this issue.  See, those players that can read Vorbis
Comments already limit what the user sees to the basic ones like
Artist, Album, Comment, Date, etc like this example here[1] does.
They would discard the ALBUMART tag, and voilá, the Vorbis Comments
would still be considered human-readable.

On the other hand, an application that would understand the tag would
translate it into an image, and the albumart people would be pleased.
Those who don't care about the tag won't even know it's there because
applications will discard it, while those who do want it will know
it's there and they will be using applications that support it.

It's a win-win situation, with the added bonus that it wouldn't
require encapsulating images in a single stream Vorbis file.  After
all, Vorbis multiplexed with images is likely to break
non-libvorbis-based decoders since those don't expect muxed streams.
I know, because I have been testing around Vorbis+Skeleton files.

Rules are not set in stone.  We are supposed to bend them a little
when it's necessary and, truth be told, this is a very small
concession to please an audience.

-Ivo