[ogg-dev] The use for an XML based metadata format

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 06:25:53 PDT 2007

On 18/09/2007, Daniel Aleksandersen <aleksandersen+xiphlists at runbox.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 18. September 2007 14:32:45 Ian Malone wrote:
> > On 11/09/2007, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > DC has provision for qualifiers, there is a proposed 'agent-role'
> > > <http://dublincore.org/usage/meetings/2002/05/Agent-roles.html>
> > > which, last time I looked, used the MARC relator list:
> > > <http://www.loc.gov/marc/sourcecode/relator/relatorlist.html>

> > Okay, I'm not sure if this is a revelatory inspiration or a crazy idea,
> > but this morning it occurred to me that what might work is three
> > degrees of refinement for a role:
> >
> > 1. General.  This would be like the MARC relator list.  If someone
> >    plays guitar it will say musician.

> > 2. Refined.  Where available pick from a given list of possibilities.
> >    This is where you'd put type of musical instrument for example.

> > 3. Free form refinement.  E.g the 'bowed guitar' from above refining
> >    'guitar'.

> >    Would also specify characters.  May use things such as URIs where defined
> >    categories exist; for example if someone produced a URN scheme
> >    for all characters in Shakespeare's works.

> > Any thoughts or criticisms on this?  RDF allows us to specify
> > the same endpoint for multiple relationships, or we could handle
> > roles in a more complex way than simple relationships, either
> > way the above could be made to work.
>
> I do not know the English word for this, but I will try to explain: Would it
> not be satisfactory to give the category of instrument? I mean: Surely the
> English language does provide names for various instrument categories.

Possibly (we refer to families: woodwind, brass &c.), this might
make sense to go into level 2 and then level 3 would describe
the exact instrument if needed.  I'm less concerned about the
detail at this point than the overall structure (general, widely
compatible refinement; more specific slightly bespoke;
specialized machine-unfriendly)

> As everyone seams so keen to keep Vorbis comments; how could this be applied
> using Vorbis comments?

With a hack as always (I'm not saying they're ideal, simply
that I think for various reasons XML metadata will supplement
rather than *replace* them). eg.
MUSICIAN=(vocal,Càlaf)Pavarotti, Luciano[1][2]

[1] May he rest in peace.
[2] I haven't referred to the vorbiscomment wiki page to write
    this so it probably wont quite follow whatever recommendations
    there are for attribution.

--
imalone