[ogg-dev] The use for an XML based metadata format

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Wed Sep 12 11:05:14 PDT 2007

On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 09:33:43AM +0900, Conrad Parker wrote:

> For CMML, we first tried just using raw XML from byte 0 but later opted for
> using a binary header with magic identifier in the first (bos) packet
> for these reasons.

Can you give a little more on why you made this decision? I see it goes
back a long way, but couldn't find a discussion about it.

I always thought it would be better to start with raw XML, since it's
fairly recognizable (especially if you require an initial <!DOCTYPE...>
or <?xml...?>) and let the XML parser sort it out. With the prepended
magic, you need a mapping spec for every variety of XML you want to
embed in Ogg.

Of course, you could just define '<?xml' as the magic for a generic xml
stream...

 -r