[ogg-dev] Feedback on XML metadata namespace

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 10:45:41 PDT 2007

Daniel Aleksandersen wrote:

> By the way, here is a proposal I did not add on the page. I would like to
> discuss it here first. What's up with the naming for these formats
> anyways!? Vorbis is a codec. FLAC is a codec. Both used Vorbis comments. Is
> that not a little confusing? One could assume Vorbis comments were
> something related to the Vorbis codec only. It should be called.... Media
> Comments. Or something. (Again, I am just as terrible with naming.)

Historical; Vorbis comments were created for Vorbis then used in
other codecs (as I understand it).  Many of the other codec specs
refer to the description of Vorbis comments in the Vorbis spec.
Upsettingly they all package them slightly differently.

Xiph comments might make sense if a rename was needed, though
I suspect most people who call them /anything/ are probably
subscribed to this list.

--
imalone