[ogg-dev] M3F: Multimedia Metadata Format

Daniel Aleksandersen aleksandersen+xiphlists at runbox.com
Tue Sep 11 14:09:18 PDT 2007

Hi list,

On 2007-09-10 Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> 2) we need a XML annotation format for audio - in particular for music -
> that is more structured than vorbiscomment (and this probably
> applies to video, too)

Above, Silvia sums up nicely what I used three days and a tone of emails to
say. (Though she did not say that this format should replace Vorbis
comments all together, which is still my view.)

What have been done so far is to create a wiki page with my original XML
based metadata format[1]. This format needs much work.

I think the very next thing to be done is to define exact what the format
should and must not describe. My original proposal were something along the
lines of: ‘[The format] should give a metadata description of any media
resource (text, video, audio, ...) in an Ogg stream; for use with search-
and multimedia management software.’

I doubt this will be the final definition of what the format does, but it is
a start. Please do send any definition suggestions or thoughts to the email
list so that we all may better understand what will be required by the
format.

Regarding the poor naming for my proposal:
I just though up a name for the XML format; and MDMF was the best I could
come up with at 5am. I think no one will oppose changing the name to my new
suggestion (right below). Though someone might be better at naming stuff.

M3F, or the Multimedia Metadata Format.

Thoughts?

[1] http://wiki.xiph.org/MDMF

(How am I doing with the leadership-thing, Silvia?)
--
Daniel Aleksandersen <aleksandersen at runbox.com>