[ogg-dev] The use for an XML based metadata format

Daniel Aleksandersen aleksandersen+xiphlists at runbox.com
Sun Sep 9 15:26:44 PDT 2007

On Monday 10. September 2007 00:00:43 David K. Gasaway wrote:
> On 9 Sep 2007 at 23:11, Daniel Aleksandersen wrote:
> > To me, Vorbis comments are insufficient. Ask anyone playing in an
> > ensamble if they would like recognition. Ask the record label holding
> > the rights to a song. Ask the music geek that wants his music
> > collection sorted by something other than artist, album, or release
> > year. They would all prefer this to Vorbis comments.
>
> FWIW, I find them sufficient.  Not ideal, mind you, but sufficient.
> It's difficult enough to find software (nevermind hardware) that
> recognizes anything more than the most basic tags.  In other words,
> evidently, the motivation to implement more complete metadata in
> player/music management software just isn't there.  As Silvia
> suggested, convincing everyone (and that means users; developers of
> encoders, tag editors, software players, hardware players; web
> streamers; and more) to adopt a new, more complex replacement for
> vorbis comments will be an *extremely* difficult challenge.

I think they said that about horses vs. cars as well. Remind me...What do we
use for personal transportation today?

No, seriously. I know it will probably be very difficult. But by no account
impossible. I want to say this to all of you: Stop being so negative. Try
to embrace new ideas instead. At least try not to be all negative.

Try looking on it from a different angle: What could be done to make this
format look more attractive to software developers?

For my account, I added the audio:encoding:software element so software
makers would get a tiny, free promotion by endorsing this format. Their
name, version, and an URI is also important if there ever were an error
with one software. It would make it easier to determine songs encoded by
troublesome versions of the software.
--
Daniel Aleksandersen