[ogg-dev] Feedback on XML metadata namespace

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 19:32:10 PDT 2007

Actually, we have been discussing this kind of addressing for a very
long time and it was half the point of the Annodex project (see
www.annodex.net).

What we have defined for addressing is the following:

* temporal addressing:
http://annodex.net/TR/draft-pfeiffer-temporal-fragments-03.txt
 Any ogg file can be addresses through temporal offsets. This goes
across different logical bitstreams.

* identification of logical bitstreams:
http://annodex.net/TR/draft-pfeiffer-annodex-02.txt
  Skeleton provides all the functionality required to get information
about the logical bitstreams without a need for decoding. The logical
bitstream's serial number is in the fisbone header. In addition, each
of the logical bitstreams gets protocol-type information through the
message-header field. "Content-type:" is mandatory (it has the mime
type as currently being specified by
http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIME_Types_and_File_Extensions. There
is currently not a "name" (ID) specified for the logical bitstream in
the way that Ian suggests, but there is no reason that cannot be
introduced. All we need to do is create a message header field called
e.g. "id:" and make it mandatory. Then we can address logical
bitstreams in skeleton through names as well as serial number.

* named addressing of time offsets:
http://annodex.net/TR/draft-pfeiffer-cmml-03.txt
  For completeness' sake I also want to mention that through CMML we
have defined a means to address time offsets into ogg file (with
skeleton and cmml) by name. This looks e.g. like
http://example.com/sample.axv?id=dolphin

So: in summary, I agree with Ian and we have a simple way to introduce
this kind of addressing using Skeleton. We should probably pick up
editing of the mentioned I-Ds again and include what we learn through
this process.

Cheers,
Silvia.