[ogg-dev] Feedback on XML metadata namespace

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 08:25:44 PDT 2007

On 9/8/07, Daniel Aleksandersen <aleksandersen+xiphlists at runbox.com> wrote:
> I feel that these 'Vorbis comments' are not sufficient. There is not even a
> standard for their field names.

There isn't?  Hmm, I guess I'll assemble the most common ones and
create a spec, then.

> It is not? Hm.... I never given it a though. I see 'OGG' everywhere. Look in
> Wikipedia, for instance. Though the article there uses both forms.

You'll see it in HW players stating they can play this "OGG" thing,
which is nothing but Vorbis.  What about Theora, Speex, etc?

Wikipedia usually gets it right.  I'll check it for errors, though,
and correct them.

> I do not know what MIMEs is being used in Ogg. As I have understood it,
> there is only application/ogg.

Recently, we have released a proposal that allows three media types for Ogg.

Those are application/ogg (for non-audio, non-video) and video/ogg and
audio/ogg (which are obvious in what they are suited for).  Those
media types apply for anything in Ogg: Speex, Dirac, FLAC, OggMNG,
etc. and any possible combination.  As such...

> Anyone that have seen my suggested format will have noticed that I have no
> idea how to address the various formats. I have assumed it should be
> possible by using MIMEs and URIs. Please advise.

...it should be possible to address such issue with the media types,
as far as I am aware.

-Ivo