[ogg-dev] Metadata - Comments or real data?
aleksandersen+xiphlists at runbox.com
Wed Oct 3 16:35:52 PDT 2007
The metadata discussion seams to have died out again. I will try to revive
it again. Here is the goals and progress of this metadata exercise so far:
The main goals this far have been to:
* Provide an all over richer description of media resources in Ogg
container. Primarily not technical data, but other things.)
* Attribute more parties involved in music/video production.
* Clarify [distribution] rights in a human readable and preferably a
machine-parsable way to (date of copyright; and license URIs).
* Must be free-form (only were possible to preserve machine-parsing!) and
Please do submit ideas and carry on the work on the Xiph Wiki. As things
stand now there are tree possible solutions to improving metadata in Ogg
containers. See below.
* The first is a [work-around] solution involving cleaning up, clarifying,
and expand the standard (Vorbis) comment field names. Comments are very
limited, but by standardising and providing better documentation they can
be improved. See current work on:
* The second solution involves introducing a new XML based format. (Possibly
as a replacement for comments.) The draw back here is that it wold require
hardware and software players to support XML parsing. However the gain is
much grater when it comes to how rich the descriptions can be. See random
thoughts and idea for more work on: (See VoribsComment page too.)
* The third option is to try and stuff in extensions to existing XML based
and other formats in Ogg containers. Though very little interest/ideas have
come up on this end.
More information about the ogg-dev