tool to add skeleton (was Re: [Vorbis-dev] Re: [ogg-dev] Peer review draft for the new)

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 09:22:51 PDT 2007

Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> On 10/2/07, Ian Malone <ibmalone at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Apropos this; I was wondering about mime-types to be used in
>> Skeleton.  audio/vorbis for instance is not a current recommendation
>> for general use to avoid irritation to the IETF (as I understand) and
>> currently, for example, audio/x-ogg is suggested.  What is the opinion
>> on using the final codec mime types (audio/vorbis for instance) in
>> Skeleton, as this information is static and as it doesn't overlap with
>> anything anyone else is doing?
>
> So: the mime types inside skeleton should be the same that are being
> used inside encapsulation-format-free spaces, such as RTSP/RTP.
> audio/vorbis is suggested for use where it just refers to a stream of
> vorbis packets (see
> http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/MIME_Types_and_File_Extensions).
> audio/ogg is instead recommended for any type of audio encapsulated in
> ogg.
> So: the ogg file (.oga extension) would have audio/ogg mime type and
> inside it would live a skeleton which says audio/vorbis or audio/speex
> about its audio bitstream. This enables audio applications to pick up
> the file and do something with it, while possibly ignoring a .ogv
> file.
>
> If we haven't made this clear yet, that should be fixed! :-)

That's clear, I wasn't.  The encapsulated mime-types are not
yet approved and waiting for a later RFC draft.  So should
an addskel tool label them audio/x-vorbis, audio/x-speex etc.
in the meantime or is there less need for restraint here?
(Whereas ogg/x-audio to ogg/audio is a system level change
audio/x-vorbis to audio/vorbis potentially affects information
stored statically in files.)

--
imalone