[ogg-dev] Re: [theora-dev] Re: [Advocacy] Re: [Vorbis-dev] Proposal: An extension to rules all others

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Tue May 8 02:14:30 PDT 2007

On 06/05/07, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can we post-hum call Ogg Flac or Ogg Theora files that use the .ogg
> extension "misnamed" without pissing off our community?

I think the word you're looking for is "deprecate" :-) As long as we
make our recommendations clear, and work together with the developers
of file managers and content hosts, then we shouldn't piss off too
many people.

Once flac and fmpeg2theora are modified to create files with the new
extensions .oga, .ogv respectively then the path for other tools to
take should be fairly clear. It would be polite to send an
announcement to news sites and relevant projects before doing that
though.

cheers,

Conrad.