[ogg-dev] packets and OGG pages

Mathias Kunter mathiaskunter at yahoo.de
Tue Mar 13 20:20:19 PDT 2007

Hello all,

my name is Mathias, I'd like to ask about some details of the OGG format because I'm quite new to it. I'd like to write a native .NET library for reading and writing Vorbis comments. It's going to be open-sourced as soon as it's finished. So here it goes:

1) When packing (Vorbis) packets to OGG pages, does a new packet always begin on a fresh OGG page? Within the specs I could only find the info that a packet can be split over several pages.

2) http://xiph.org/ogg/doc/oggstream.html stats:
"A physical bitstream consists of
multiple logical bitstreams multiplexed at the page level and may
include a 'meta-header' at the beginning of the multiplexed logical
stream that serves as identification magic."
What is meant by this "meta-header", I couldn't find any detailed specs about it? Does this simply refer to the "begin of stream" (bos) page where the codec identification header is stored?

3) When new information is added to the comment header, it has to be expanded, of course. Is there a way to use some kind of "padding" like ID3v2 does so that rewriting the entire file can be avoided? I thought it must be possible by simply creating an ogg page with a size which is greater than the space required by the comment header, and filling up the remaining bytes with 0's for "clarification". Unless I don't exceed the maximum page size of nearly 64K there should be no problem. Even if I would exceed the 64K limit I think it should be possible by adding a new ogg page, although this would cause to re-number the other ogg pages. Am I right about these assumptions?

Many thanks for any point to the right direction.
Mathias