[ogg-dev] Re: [Vorbis-dev] Re: Online Monthly Meeting scheduled to 11th July 2007, 06:00 UTC; Confirmed

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 12:20:16 PDT 2007

On 7/11/07, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> We will now have to prepare Internet-Drafts in preparation for new
> RFCs for the new mime types and get into a discussion with IETF/IANA
> as to changing the old registration. If that is not possible, we may
> need to revert to the earlier suggestion of keeping .ogg for "anything
> in ogg" rather than .ogx , and accept the problem that audio HW
> players are going to barf on .ogg video files.

I have read your chat with Monty after I left.  I have seen a RFC
regarding deprecating text/javascript for application/javascript, so
in theory it is possible we will be able to do the same.

Remember that this issue isn't just about HW players.  I'm mostly
involved in it because of marketing.  Do you know that some people
e-mail the flac list to compain about Ogg FLAC because they think it
will make their files lossy?  They confuse Vorbis for Ogg and this is
in big part due to the extension mess.  If we want the other codecs to
succeed -- the others being Theora, OggPCM, etc. -- we need this
change.

Then, there's the whole HW mess, of course.

> I am rather busy these days, so if anybody else is willing to take a
> lead in preparing the RFCs and I would just provide support, I would
> be quite happy with that.

Count me in.  I will do what I can.

-Ivo