[ogg-dev] Re: [xiph-rtp] Re: [Vorbis-dev] Proposal: An extension to rules all others

Aaron Colwell acolwell at real.com
Tue Jan 16 09:44:08 PST 2007

Hopefully this doesn't spawn another flame war...

These extensions seem pretty presumptuous.
>.music (Vorbis)
>.video (Theora + audio)
>.voice (Speex)
>.music-perfect + .voice-perfect (FLAC & PCM)
>.video-perfect (Lossless video codecs + audio)?

What happens when a new audio/video codec is added to the mix? A new extension?

What would be the extension for a chained file that contains audio-only and
A/V segments? (My _favorite_ corner case in the ogg format. :| )

What is wrong with the MP4/Matroska/Windows Media/RealVideo model?
.oga (Vorbis, Speex)
.ogv (Theora, Theora + Vorbis, Theora + Speex, Tarkin, etc)

Why do we need a new extension for FLAC?

I understand the desire to use seperate extensions to differentiate audio-only
from video files. Why do we need furthur differentiation based on codec?
Media applications are able to deeply inspect the file if they really need to
determine which codec it contains. If people really want to use different
applications for each codec then let them deal with the headaches of making
that happen. Don't burden the masses with a ton of extensions just to appease
a select few.

Proliferation of a bunch of new extensions will only confuse users in my
opinion.

Aaron