[ogg-dev] Playing Theora video in Keynote on MacOS X

David Thompson dcthomp at speakeasy.net
Fri Feb 2 17:52:30 PST 2007

Hi all,

I have XiphQT installed and have some Ogg theora videos I would like
to play in Apple's Keynote presentation software. They play fine in
iTunes using XiphQT but don't work in Keynote. I have each video in
two formats: (1) in a ".ogg" file, and (2) in a ".mov" file created
by opening the ".ogg" file in QuickTime Pro and saving it as a
QuickTime movie. I can't use either directly in Keynote, but by first
adding them to iTunes, I can at least get Keynote to recognize them
(they show up in Keynote's media browser).

When I try adding the ".mov"  version to a presentation, Keynote
crashes. When I add the ".ogg" version, it shows up in Keynote as an
"empty" rectangle (completely transparent -- only the 8 handles are
drawn). Playing the presentation will show the video, but only the
first few and last few frames are drawn (the movie player continues
updating the time slider as if the movie were playing normally but no
new frames are drawn until the last few). While still in presentation
mode, moving the mouse to the time slider and manually dragging it
through the movie works. However, if I exit presentation mode, click
on the empty rectangle and go to the QuickTime tab of Keynote's
object inspector dialog, when I select a poster frame for the movie
and let go of the slider, Keynote crashes. All of these crashes
appear to happen inside the XiphQT framework. I can send backtraces
and a sample theora file if anyone is willing to look at them.

Thanks for the XiphQT package, I really enjoy it and am hoping to
enjoy it some more with Keynote. I'm also working on adding Theora
output to ParaView (http://www.paraview.org/), which is one of the
reasons I would like to get Theora working in Keynote.

	Thanks,
	David