[ogg-dev] embedded pictures in vorbis comments?

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 18:31:13 PDT 2007

Hi Mathias,

The solution you are suggesting won't work because it will not only
"not work" in existing players, but probably break them completely,
such that the audio file that you are trying to improve will not play.
It is better that files which add functionality to an existing format
will continue to be played by players which only understand the old
format.

There are some existing, conformant ways of associating image data
with Ogg files. You could enter a URL into the vorbiscomment header to
get a link to album art. Or use XSPF playlists for this. Or use
Annodex and CMML with images on chapters. All of which only deal with
links to external pictures.

But I've read the thread on the album art, and people would like to
see the pictures embedded in the stream, so let's address this.

Currently, I believe, there is no fully functioning implementation for
this at Xiph, however Ogg MNG would be the way to do this using PNG
and MNG images. Or Ogg Spots for all non-animated image types. There
is an existing implementation of Ogg MNG.

If you are really keen, why don't you start programming on Ogg MNG and
integration with Ogg Vorbis? It would be most welcomed here!

Cheers,
Silvia.